Over the last week, UCCO-SACC-CSN has had discussions with CSC regarding COVID-19. Here are the essential points that UCCO-SACC-CSN members need to know about the demands we have made to the employer.
1. First of all, we’ve insisted that every visitor is screened and that if they travelled recently, or feel sick, they are not allowed into the institution. The employer has agreed. We will continue our talks to see if a full shut down of visits is required.
2. We demand that all staff needs to be properly fit tested for N95 masks, and sufficient quantities need to be in our institutions, as well as other personal protective equipment (hand sanitizer etc.).
3. Contingency plans need to be developed at each institution for a potential outbreak and should include proper consultation with each Local OHS committee.
4. Note that UCCO-SACC-CSN participates on a weekly teleconference with the National Joint Council (where all federal public sector unions sit) and the Treasury Board. We have raised pay issues for potential quarantine at this table, and have been advised that directions will soon be given by the Treasury Board. We are also on a conference call 3 times per week with the CSC to raise our issues and get updates on a regular basis.
5. Remember, we have the right to be provided with a workplace that is free of dangers to our health and safety. If you’re sick stay home. Our focus must remain on protecting ourselves. To get useful information on personal risk management please keep up to date on these websites: World Health Organization, Health Canada and CSC’s website.
The responses to this pandemic are ever-changing and we will continue to monitor the situation very closely.